Sunday 24 February 2013

Week 7-running for the soul

This week was always going to be a tricky one after the knee injury last week, it didn't start well when my knee was too painful to manage press ups at bootcamp.
The first run was on Wednesday and I managed 3 miles but it was slow and I could feel the pain in my knee, I was starting to worry that it was going to be something serious. With that in mind I did what any sensible runner would do-went shopping and bought some Jelly babies, a knee support and a metric fucktonne of Ibuprofen. The Ibuprofen was a back up really as I've discovered my husband's secret stash of Naproxen, not that one should take drugs prescribed for another person etc etc.
Thursday's run was a bit of a surprise, still niggles from the knee but I did 6.6 miles with club captain Rach who has a knack of keeping me going and finding what speed I can. It made me feel a lot better about things as I'd done it and my knee held up.

The main event of the week was the Belvoir challenge, 15 miles of offroad running. It's hilly, it's muddy and they give you cake at the check points. My plan said 20 miles but sometimes you have to change things and do what you love. With a bad knee I would be crazy to do 20 miles of road running and anyway I love the running through the countryside, you can't beat getting to the top of a hill in a muddy field and stopping to take in the view. You can see for miles. And there's cake. It was a fantastic morning, I ran as a group with 3 other ladies from my club and we had a blast. We won't dwell on the bit where I slipped over and landed on my arse when we weren't actually moving, if that happens to you then don't grab a thorn bush to break your fall-I think I pulled the last thorn out this morning. But the long offroad runs, this is why I run.

Week 8 holds three runs of 7 miles each, nothing too daunting there.

When I complete this marathon I won't be celebrating with champagne as my GP has banned me from drinking for another 3 months, that'll make 5 in total and there's no guarantee that he'll lift the ban even then. I used to quite like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment