Friday 26 April 2013

Almost there

Where does the time go? My last long run was last Sunday, I did 8 miles with 3 clubmates and it was great. The pace was quick and the run was really enjoyable. Since then I've done a 2 mile and a 5 mile and that's it. No more running until Sunday morning when it's finally marathon day. 16 weeks and 400 miles of training and the day of reckoning is now just 36 hours away. I've almost packed and I don't even think I've forgotten anything-I've definitely packed my trainers anyway.

The standard advice is to take it easy and have a relaxing week with plenty of sleep in the week leading up to your marathon. Sadly that's not quite how real life pans out, I've had a busy and stressful week, nowhere near enough sleep and I am totally knackered. Today hasn't really been anything like ideal but it's nearly over. Hopefully I'll catch up on some sleep tonight and fingers crossed I won't get woken up at 5.20am again tomorrow morning (thanks son). I have a sore leg but that's shin splints/tendon ouchiness due to 4 months of road running, it just has to cope with a few more hours then it's back offroad where legs are happy.

I've had some lovely messages from my friends, including the most fantastic card from Anna (see the pic on facebook, it's amazing). You really are a lovely lot and your support has really kept me going, you need someone in your corner for a challenge like this. So although most of you won't be with me on Sunday, you all helped to get me there. It's up to me to get round and I hope I can do it. I'm nervous and I don't usually get pre-race nerves, maybe it's the fear of the unknown as I have never run more than 21 miles before. I'm so nervous I've even forgotten it's my birthday on Sunday, I was really surprised when my workmates came in to sing Happy Birthday!

I have 3 aims for this marathon. Bronze- to finish and still be alive at the end. Silver-to do it in less than 5 hours. Gold-to do it in 4.45. You can keep an eye on my progress on the Greater Manchester Marathon website, kick off is 9am Sunday morning. Fingers crossed I'll do it, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment