Friday 4 January 2013

Need a plan Stan

The marathon is 16 weeks and 2 days away so that means the 16 week training plan starts on Monday. I had planned to follow the programme in my book but having studied it in a bit more detail I've realised that the first 7 weeks would actually be less running than I'm doing at the moment. Now I'm naturally pretty lazy but even I know that that's not going to be ideal preparation.
I've printed off two plans from Smartcoach, one harder than the other. So I now have three plans which is probably worse than no plan at all.
I'm going to aim to follow a bit of a combination of all three. The long run is crucial so the progression of that one will be from one plan or the other. The other two runs will be a bit more fluid but will, as a minimum be what is recommended in the book. Sounds like a bit of a mishmash but as someone very wise (Karla!) once said "write your goal in cement, and your plan in sand".

So the plan for week 1 is a tempo run of around 5 miles, an easy run of 3-6 miles (told you it was fluid) and long run of 8-10 miles. Total mileage 16-21. My usual  weekly mileage is around 20 so this week should be fine. Bootcamp starts again this week so there will be two sessions of strength and fitness training. Crucially there will also be 2 rest days.

Let's get on with it then.

No comments:

Post a Comment