Sunday 27 January 2013

Week 3

Here I am at the end of week 3, just 13 weeks to go. The weather has been cold, snowy, wet, sunny, windy and everything else in between.

The 5 mile and 4 mile runs this week were both absolutely fine and at 9.30ish pace. The focus of the week has been the long run, up to 14 miles now so my first peak week before an easy week. I know the importance of carb loading and adequate rest before a long run. Unfortunately yesterday was Sam's 9th birthday party which started at 3pm and finished at 11pm, those 9 year olds know how to party. My diet yesterday was mostly pizza and chocolate cake, I went to bed late and had a really disturbed night of sleeping/waking. I didn't feel too great this morning but I still managed to get up and out by 7.30 to run the 2.5 miles to the pub to meet some of my club mates for the legendary long run conga (where people meet up/drop off along the way to suit varying lengths of run/training plans/ability). At the peak today there were 13 of us so the miles passed quickly with a change of conversation partner every mile or so. I stayed with the group until 12 miles and then ran the 2 miles home by myself, those 2 miles were the toughest of the lot. Overall the pace was 10.09 which is almost bang on my long run target pace of 10.00.

On to week 4 now, it's a nice one with just three runs of 6 miles each. The calm before the storm of 16/18/20 mile weekend runs, that's where the real fun begins.

I'm feeling fairly fit and strong at the moment (thank you bootcamp) but the real challenges are yet to come. I'm still fairly exhausted a lot of the time but the latest liver function test is now twice normal rather than four times normal so that's progress. A few more test results still to come back but I'm sure they'll be fine.

Hopefully next week's blog will be more interesting although there's only so much you can say about 3 short runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment