Sunday 20 January 2013

Week 2-when the snow came

This week has been a lot harder than last week, not in terms of mileage more in terms of everything but mileage.
It's been very cold this week which makes it a lot harder work. The 5 miles tempo on Wednesday were more like 5 miles slow, I simply couldn't find any speed no matter how hard I tried. Thursday was 5 miles steady and I just about managed that although it was icy underfoot which never helps. I'm going to blame my trainers for these two I think, I wore a new pair that I can't really get on with for one of them and an old pair that are getting towards the end of their life for the other. Oh and the wrong socks too, it was all wrong. Or it might have something to do with the massive weights at bootcamp on Tuesday, why do we feel the need to prove ourselves when new people join the group? Just me then.

The snow really came down on Friday so bootcamp was cancelled on Saturday, I did my cross training through the medium of sledging instead. It was brilliant fun and I'm sure the runs back up the hill count as hill reps.

Today's long run was better than the rest of the week. It was pretty icy underfoot even though I'd opted for canal towpaths rather than roads or countryside. I'd say that the ice slowed us down by 30-45 seconds per mile. Even so we covered 12 miles at well quicker than 11 minute mile pace, without the snow and ice it would have been spot on 10 min miles again. I managed to miss the chance of a more interesting route and a run with friends by not keeping my eyes open this week, must plan more carefully next time. Fortunately I still had some company which makes a long run fun. I have no doubt that I could manage the distance solo and of course I will be solo on marathon day. I'm a social being though and I like the chance to have a chat and there's no better time than a Sunday long run to put the world to rights-beats the ipod for me anyday.

Oh and I had my liver scan this week, it went well (apart from the bit where I accidentally flashed my arse at the man doing the scan) and he said that it all looked fine from his point of view (presumably my liver rather than my arse). Next GGT blood test on Thursday and then results a week later, fingers crossed all is back to normal by then.

Next week's plan is an easy run of 4 miles, a tempo run of 5 miles and then a long run of 14 miles so a weekly total of 23 miles. Doesn't sound too daunting at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment